When It comes to storing your vehicle, there are certain vehicle storage tips to follow to make sure the interior, exterior and engine stay in good condition.
- When storing a vehicle, choose indoor storage if possible in a cool, dark, dry place out of sunlight (or under a cover if outside).
- When storing your vehicle leave about ½ to full tank of fuel in the tank and add a fuel stabilizer so the fuel doesn’t breakdown. Run the vehicle for about 20 minutes after you add the fuel stabilizer.
- Change the oil and filter before storing a vehicle, try to avoid oils with additives as they may contain detergents potentially harmful to the engine.
- Make sure the coolant level is within acceptable levels
- When storing a vehicle, disconnect the battery, and possibly get a battery maintainer (which only charges the battery periodically). Check with your vehicles manufacturer to familiarize yourself with the “do” and “don’ts” when using this type of battery device.
- Check tire pressure and inflate to proper level. If storing on bias ply tires for over a month, car should be put on jack stands so the tires don’t develop flat spots, if storing on radials , jack stands should be used after 3-4 months.
- Don’t set the parking brake; you don’t want it to freeze up if storing your vehicle for an extended period of time.
- Remove wipers from wiper arms and stand wiper arms up so they don’t contact the windshield.
- Clean the inside and outside before storing a vehicle, especially around brakes, steering linkage, and axles to remove any built up dirt, salt, etc.
- Place a sheet of plastic under the vehicle in storage as a vapor barrier (if inside in an unheated garage) to avoid condensation. This can also expose any leaks.
- Seal air intakes and exhaust pipes with rags, etc to prevent small animals from nesting.
- Open the windows a crack for air circulation.
When storing a vehicle, if possible, check in on it once in a while like every month or two to make sure everything is still OK. A quick inspection can help catch a developing problem.