Rabbit Movers is a moving company with a twist: its entire staff is made up of artists. Based in Brooklyn, New York, this company offers moving, storage, and disposal services as well as custom crating for fine art and other large items. The company charges anywhere from $105 per hour for four movers with a truck to a flat rate for an end-to-end service which includes packing and unpacking.
Either way, Rabbit Movers is an affordable option for moving in the New York City area. In this article, you’ll hear about what makes this specific moving company stand out. You’ll also learn about the services they offer, and the pros and cons of choosing them for your move.
About Rabbit Movers
Shawn Lyons, a Brooklyn-based writer, founded Rabbit Movers in 2004. Originally consisting only of Shawn and his van, the company now owns several trucks and employs about 40 people, all artists. We think that this makes Rabbit Movers unusually hip for a moving company, and it shows on the company’s modern, easy-to-use website.
We can tell that these folks are serious about art. This is because their expertise shows when it comes to moving framed artwork and other pieces. And as a small operation, they pride themselves on being able to offer personalized service to their customers.
Rabbit Movers List of Services
The company offers insured and bonded moving services for anything from large family homes to one bedroom and studio apartments. You can expect a small studio apartment to run about $300-$400, which is surprisingly affordable for a New York City moving company. The company uses two types of pricing: an hourly rate ($90 per hour for three movers or $105 per hour for four), or an all-inclusive flat rate that includes extra services like boxes and supplies, packing and unpacking, and any stops along the way. Flat rates will vary depending on your move. But the company offers free consultations and estimates with no obligation.
Rabbit Movers sells boxes and furniture covers so you don’t have to go elsewhere to find them. Their prices are about the same as other moving companies in the area: 24x24x18in boxes cost $6.91, and furniture covers cost $11.76. As an environmentally-friendly alternative to cardboard boxes, the company also has heavy duty reusable bins available for rental, with 20 large bins costing $106.
Rabbit Movers offers a custom wood-crating service for fragile or large items like framed artwork or televisions. Since every mover is also an artist, customers can rest assured that Rabbit Movers will know how to handle their fine art.
Like many moving companies, Rabbit Movers offers storage to help customers navigate schedule challenges. According to the company’s website, their storage facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art security systems, fire control and sprinkler systems. They also offer door-to-door delivery for belongings held in storage. For this service, you can get a free estimate for storage online or by phone.
This company also offers disposal services for unwanted belongings, furniture and packing materials. Their website states that they can dispose of anything from a single couch to a full house. This is a handy service to have, especially when you’ve just moved in and getting rid of empty boxes is the last thing you want to think about.
Pros and Cons of Rabbit Movers
The Pros of Choosing Rabbit Movers
- It is a small company: This company has built its reputation on customer service and word of mouth. With a small staff, it’s easy to get in touch with the right people if something goes wrong.
- Also, it is art friendly: The movers at this company are artists supporting their passion. If you’re an artist, or if you just own a lot of art, you’ll trust and appreciate this company’s expertise.
- Rabbit Movers offers flat rates: Sometimes it’s hard to know what a move will cost when a company charges by the hour. With a flat rate for door-to-door service, Rabbit Movers lets their customers rest easy knowing that there won’t be any surprises.
- It gives free consultations: Moving requires planning. So Rabbit Movers tries to make it easy for their customers to plan a move by offering free consultations online and by phone with no obligation.
The Cons of Choosing Rabbit Movers
- You’ll have to pay up front: Rabbit Movers asks customers to pay 72 hours in advance of their move. This means that if a move doesn’t go as planned, you’ll have to go to work if you want your money back.
- Rates for services aren’t available on the website: Rabbit Movers offers free consultations and estimates with no obligation. But customers always feel better when a website gives them some idea of how much they can expect to pay for a service.
- Rabbit Movers is based in New York City: If you’re moving from New York to somewhere else in the Northeast, Rabbit Movers can help you. But if you’re moving from somewhere else to New York, you might need to choose another company. We recommend calling to ask.
Rabbit Movers is an affordable company that takes some of the hassle out of moving. They could be a great option for anyone looking for a moving company in the New York area.
We’d also love to hear what you have to say! Have you hired Rabbit Movers in the past? If so, be sure to tell us what you think in a comment below.