If you are one amongst the thousands who’ve had to pick up all your belongings and move to a new location or community, these moving tips and tricks could be life saving!
Preparing for ‘Moving home’
1. Get organized early– This is probably the first step in this mammoth process. Figure out the number of days at hand before moving and plan on utilizing these days to avoid any last minute chaos. Create a countdown list that allocates each day/week to accomplish all the tasks to make a smooth and swift move.
2. Change the address– You need to get your address changed on all your utility bills, banks, online sites such as Amazon, Ebay etc. This moving tip can help you lessen the stress and make sure all the amenities are up and running by the time you are ready to pack and move.
3. Safeguard all the valuables– Arrange for your jewelry or other expensive articles to be kept in the bank or any other safe area. Also, gather and safeguard all the important papers you need such as property papers, bank/ work related documents, passports etc.
4. Figuring how to move– Unless you have any friends/family to help you move with all your belongings, you will most likely need help from a ‘moving company’. Make sure to get estimates and schedule your move ahead of time. Keep them updated with the nature, size and number of your belongings you require them to move. It is crucial to communicate expectations and requirements to ascertain charges and equipment required for the move.
‘Packing tips’ for moving (moving packing tips to make the packing process easier)
1. Sell-Donate-Use– If you are amongst those who have more things than they need or know, this tip is for you! Segregate all your belongings in these 3 groups. You can organize a yard sale or put articles on sale online for things you don’t want to take to your new house. You can also donate things that are in fairly good condition to charity or even to your friends and family! Finally, for all the things you need to take with you, you need to make sure you have adequate boxes or cartons to pack them in.
2. Make a moving/ packing list– This step is what will make all the difference and make your moving house a breeze. Make a list of all the articles you place in each box. You could label and number them as Books, DVD’s or shoes etc. Make sure you pack them in a way that will make unpacking easier. This is the trick for successful packing!
3. Pack wisely– Arrange the items according to the time you will use them. For example, have an overnight bag with all the essential articles you will need on the day of the move after reaching you new abode. Make sure you pack articles like toiletries, fresh pair of clothes and electronics like your iPad or laptop with cables. Similarly, if its summer time, pack all your winter garments separately so you don’t have to sort them again while unpacking.
4. Use a clear plastic box– This box could carry a few items you need initially before you unpack all your boxes. Items such as, power cables, clean bedding, toilet tissues, kettle, few utensils, towels, a pair of your office clothes etc.
5. Packing tip for electronics– Take a picture of the arrangement of cables behind all your electrical appliances so that it saves you time from figuring them out while unpacking.
Here’s hoping that these moving and packing tips and tricks help you and your possessions to have a peaceful and organized moving home experience!