If you want to make life easier for yourself or your friendly movers, there are tips for packing your garage and outside items. Whether you get moved by great scott movers, a van line like Arpin Movers, or you move yourself, these are ways to make the garage easier to deal with.
First of all have a garage sale to delete un-needed items.
- Desks or workbenches with drawers should be emptied and contents packed into cartons.
- Utility cabinets with shelves contents should be emptied and packed into boxes.
- 2 or 4 drawer files if not too heavy may be moved full; if there are used towels or paper to secure items in drawers, items like screws etc and items that would rattle around should be packed in boxes.
- Bolted together Metal shelves don’t necessarily need to be disassembled, shelves that just clip together and plastic shelves should be broken down and taped together in a bundle, ladders need no attention.
- Only Gas powered tool or machines should be drained of gasoline (and preferably oil), and handles, etc that can be disassembled and or folded over to condense space should be done so.
- Long Handled tools should be bundled together so they can be placed in a garbage can, taped into group or put in a pad and wrapped up.
- Hand tool or small power tools (drills, etc) can be packed in small cartons and filled out with newsprint or left in a tool box and latched shut, paper can be used to fill space and stop shifting.
- Sports equipment can be packed in large cartons, wardrobes, even garbage cans. The mover may also use a speedpack (large open corrugated, catch all approximately 2 ½ ‘x4’)good for hard to pack bulky items.
- Bicycles for local moves, loosen the handle bars, and rotate them ¼ turn so they are closer to the same width as the rest of the bike, on a long distance move a bicycle carton is the safest bet to avoid damage.
- Liquids check with your mover on what they can and cannot take-anything considered hazmat is out
- Patio furniture cushions should be removed and packed in a carton, if chairs can be stacked without damaging them, stack them, if not leave these items loose so they can be blanket wrapped by your mover.
–Umbrella: Use plastic wrap or tape to wrap around and keep closed.
–Grill: If charcoal make sure grill is emptied and cleaned out, if gas remove tank (it cannot be transported by your mover, unless they have a hazmat license).
2. Pots or Planters should be emptied of dirt and cleaned as much as possible if they can be
Stacked, stack them.
- Swing sets, gazebos, sheds: should be disassembled prior to the move with the hardware
Either bagged and taped to large piece or cartooned and noted in a log (to keep a notebook of information is helpful during any move), if the item is complicated, take notes or pictures on reassembly and mark or tag joints with references.