Generally speaking, it’s almost virtually impossible to state standard rates for any move done, and even harder to quote standard rates for long-distance moves. The final figures will always be different because there are vast differences in travel distances, the number of long distance movers used, and time constraints involved. However, this article will present enough detailed information to allow customers to evaluate their individual situations and come up with a close estimation of what their move may cost.
What to Take into Account
When determining costs for long distance moves, several major factors have to be considered:
- The most important and initial factors that will be considered are the current and destination addresses. A large percentage of the final cost will depend on the distance traveled.
- Is this a residential or commercial move?
- Items/furnishings to be moved and the total combined weight of these items.
- Will this move be done by using long distance movers from a full-service moving company or by using a one-way truck rental service?
- The length of time it takes to complete the move.
Average Long Distance Moving Rates
A standard rating system people use for calculating long-distance moves is $.40 – $.60 per lb. when weighing items you will ship; costs also include per cubic foot measurements. Bear in mind, however, that these standard rates may vary with different companies in different states. While most long distance movers will hover around similar price ranges, differences will occur when dealing with the other aspects of a move. Customers may also be able to receive a flat rate depending on the circumstances of their move.
Full-Service Long Distance Movers vs. One-Way Truck Rental Services
Below you will find information regarding 6 full-service long distance movers and one-way truck rental long-distance services.
Full-Service Long Distance Movers
- All Service Moving of Oregon and Washington are full-service long distance movers serving the Pacific Northwest. They conduct moves throughout the U.S. and they consider any move more than 50 miles to be a long-distance move. They provide a Dedicated Truck service which means
a) one truck for one customer – no combination of items from different customers; and
b) no transfer of items to other trucks during the move, lessening the chances of lost or damaged articles. They calculate mileage by the distance from their office to the current home to the final destination. Their 24’ truck contains 1,400 cubic feet of space that can safely transport up to 8,500 pounds.
2. In addition to handling local moves in Virginia, Southside Moving and Storage is an interstate moving company handling moves from the east to the west coast. Their relocation specialists are available 24/7 and their website covers significant information on how to determine whether your move is an interstate move. Moreover, they identify particular items that you can’t move across state borders.
3. Flatrate Moving does exactly what its name states: they offer a flat rate for their long-distance moves. After an in-home visit, they provide their potential customers with an affordable rate whether they’re moving to a neighboring state or across the country. They’re full-service long distance movers offering multiple choices that ensure a safe and stress-free move.
Full-Service One-Way Truck Rental Companies
When dealing with long-distance moves, you can say it’s better to hire a full-service moving company because of the myriad details and endless planning involved. It’s especially important to hire full-service long distance movers if you are moving delicate items such as antiques, paintings, pianos, etc.
However, for the more conventional long-distance moves, it may be worth considering the do-it-yourself method that involves using a one-way truck rental service, especially if it can save money in the long run. Below are 3 one-way truck rental companies for consideration.
- Penske’s free unlimited miles anywhere in the U.S. places them at the top of the list when it comes to do-it-yourself moves. Because of this benefit, Penske suggests their customers take the scenic route during their move to see places and people they’d very much like to visit. Also, customers save 10% automatically when booking online!
- Uhaul truck rentals offer a vast array of vehicles from pickup trucks to cargo vans to full-size 26′ trucks, all available to be used as one-way truck rentals if needed. While UHaul can handle business moves, their trucks target residential moves, providing ease for loading and unloading.
- TruckRental.net is a website that does the searching for the potential customer. After filling out their brief online questionnaire, interested people connect to the respective one-way truck rental services. You’ll receive the names of the companies that offer several moving options such as customer loads and movers drive. Alternatively, customers simply rent the truck and do the moving completely on their own.
In summary, a long-distance move can be an enormously daunting and overwhelming task so you’ll want to minimize the room for error. Thus, there are several essential facts you should consider when dealing with long-distance moves:
- Insist upon a quote resulting from an in-home visit and a bill of lading listing all items and property you need to move. Any reputable moving company will know this without your asking but if they don’t, do not agree to any rate until they do it.
- Check references and reviews on the Better Business Bureau to be sure the company chosen is trustworthy and dependable.
- Be sure the prospective company has a proper license and insurance.
- Make sure the company is completely familiar with and knowledgeable of interstate moving laws and regulations.
There’s much to consider when making a move so it could be a great help if you organize yourself with lists like this. The goal, of course, is to complete the moving bearing as little stress as possible. At the same time, you need to enjoy as much clarity and peace of mind!
Images source: depositphotos.com