Moving a safe or gun safe can be a tricky and potentially dangerous proposition so unless you have 4 strong people and the proper equipment it’s probably better to defer to the expertise of heavy moving specialists, machinery movers, or commercial movers with a background in handling heavier items. If you decide to try it yourself, follow these tips to help complete. Rent, buy, or borrow an appliance dolly with stair rollers, and a tripod extension so the safe can be attached to the dolly in a free standing position. Then get enough sheets of Masonite to put down inside the residence to protect the floor. You can get the weight of the safe by checking with the manufacturer, just make sure you have the make and model. Once you get the weight, make sure the dolly is rated high enough to accommodate. Anything over 700-800 lbs is probably too big for amateurs, even strong ones.
- Measure the safe and all stairways, hallways, and door openings to make sure the piece has a clear path to its final resting place.
- Make sure the Masonite is down on all floors (not stairs) overlapped in a descending fashion so the dolly doesn’t catch on a seam or lip sticking up.
- Outside the home, strap the safe to the appliance dolly tightly with the door pointing out. You can wrap in a pad first or place protection (like cardboard) under the strap to protect the finish from scratches.
- To move upstairs, put 2 men at the top and 2 men at the bottom of the safe and tilt back when going up the stairs. The “tilting” engages the stair rollers and helps the safe move up the stairs easier. Always do one stair at a time, reposition, and a dead lift, the safe up again with everyone using their legs to provide the push. When moving downstairs you have to make sure the momentum of the piece doesn’t take over so “one stair at a time” is even more important. You can even add an extra person or 2 at the top of the piece holding a rope that runs through the middle of the appliance dolly. This can act as a type of safety net.
- When moving within the home on a flat floor engage the tripod feature within 2 people behind and 2 people in front of the safe. Once you reach the desired area, set the piece down on a piece of Masonite with its door pointing out. Reposition the appliance dolly to the door side and move back into its permanent location. Detach the dolly.
As stated before a safe or gun safe move can be difficult, but if you decide to try it yourself, these tips can help make the moving process a little easier.