South Dakota Moving Regulations

Local movers in South Dakota are required to be licensed and insured but do not need to file a tariff.  Movers were deregulated back in the 1980’s.  They are required to obtain their operating authority through the Department of Revenue.

 One important thing to remember is that you make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.

If you have any questions on local movers in your state, you may contact:

SD Trucking Assocation
3801 S. Kiwanis Avenue
PO box 89008
Sioux falls, SD  57109


South Dakota Division of Motor Vehicles (Motor Carriers Division)
Department of Revenue
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission
500 E. Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD  57501

The Better business Bureau of South Dakota

300 N Phillips Ave # 202
Sioux Falls, SD 57104-6068
(605) 271-2066 (Reliability Report)


For any questions on interstate moves, and finding a licensed mover, you may contact the:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590
Protect Your Move (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
US Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590
American Moving & Storage Association
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314

The following is a list of related moving contacts:

Attorney General of South Dakota
1302 E Hwy 14
Suite 1
Pierre SD 57501-8501
(605) 773-3215
TTY: (605) 773-6585
South Dakota Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Commerce Center
200 N. Phillips, Avenue, Suite 304
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: 605-335-6060 and 605-224-6161 (Pierre)
Fax: 605-331-2536