Rhode Island Moving Regulations

The State of Rhode Island  Division of Public Utilities and Carriers regulates household movers.  The mover must publish their tariff with the Division.  This tariff outlines all of the services and charges for the mover, and the Division holds all movers in the state of Rhode Island responsible for following by their published rates, policies, and procedures.

Local movers are required to have a local MC # on their vehicles, along with a DOT# a and a MC # if interstate.  In the state of Rhode Island, most moves are done on an hourly basis, and most companies will charge peak rates on the weekend.

One important thing to remember is that you make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.

To find out more on tariffs or if the company is licensed, you can call:

Division of Public Utilities and Carriers
89 Jefferson Blvd
Warwick, RI  02888
401-941-4500 (Main #)
401-780-2158(Motor Carriers Division, Becky Harwood)
 The Better Business Bureau of Rhode Island
235 West Central Street, Suite 1
Natick, MA 01760-3767
http://search.bbb.org/search.html (Reliability Report)


For any questions on interstate moves, and finding a licensed mover, you may contact the:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590
Protect Your Move (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
US Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590
American Moving & Storage Association
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314

The following is a list of related moving contacts:

State of Rhode Island Attorney General
150 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 274-4400
Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce
3288 Post Road
Warwick, RI 02886
(401) 732-1100
FAX: (401) 732-1107
Rhode Island Division of Insurance Regulation
1511 Pontiac Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920
(401) 462-9500