North Dakota Moving Regulations

Intrastate moves are  regulated in the state of North Dakota.

North Dakota Rules and Regulations

In the state of North Dakota, moving companies are required to have an operating authority (license) to do intrastate state moves.  Movers are not required to file a tariff.  There is no regulation on whether the mover charges hourly or by weight and distance.

One important thing to remember is that you make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.

If you have any questions on Intrastate, or questions on regulations, or on moving companies, you may contact:

North Dakota Department of Transporation
608 E. Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND  58505
North Dakota Motor Carrier Association
1031 E.  Interstate Avenue
Bismarck, ND  58503
The Better Business Bureau of North Dakota
Fargo, ND 58102
(701) 271-2855 (Reliability Report)


For any questions on interstate movers, and finding a licensed mover, you may contact the:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590
Protect Your Move (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
US Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590
American Moving & Storage Association
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314

The following is a list of related moving contacts:

North Dakota Attorney General
State Capitol
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Dept. 125
Bismarck, ND 58505
701 328-2210
TTY: 800 366-6888
North Dakota Chamber of Commerce
2000 Schafer Street
Box 2639
Bismarck, ND 58502
Phone: 701-222-0929
Toll Free: 800-382-1405
Fax: 701-222-1611
North Dakota Public Utilities Commission
600 E. Boulevard, Dept. 408
Bismarck, ND 58505-0480
701.328.2400 [phone]
800.366.6888 [TTY]
701.328.2410 [fax]