Kansas Moving Regulations

Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) regulates Kansas Intrastate Household goods moving.

Kansas Moving Rules and Regulations

The Kansas Corporation Commission regulates Kansas’s household good movers in the state of Kansas.  Household goods movers are required to file a Certificate of Convenience and Necessity application and have their tariff published by the Kansas Corporation Commission prior to operating as a household goods transporter.

Kansas movers are exempt from filing a Certificate of Convenience and Necessity Application  under K.S.A. 66-1,109 if the transportation is wholly within the corporate limits of a city or village in this state, or between contiguous cities or villages in this state or in this and another state, or between any city or village in this or another state and the suburban territory in this state within three miles of the corporate limits, or between cities and villages in this state and cities and villages in another state which are within territory designated as a commercial zone by the relevant federal authority

If your operations exceed the exempt areas listed above, KCC authority is required to operate point to point in Kansas. The mover must have its tariff published and can only charge what is posted in their tariff.  The tariff outlines all of the services and charges for the movers and the KCC holds all movers in the state of Kansas responsible for following their published rates, policies and procedures as set forth by the KCC.

One important thing to remember is that you make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.

To check out licensing, view a mover’s tariff click here http://kcc.ks.gov/trans/tariffs_household.htm, or rules and regulations, you can visit www.kcc.ks.gov, and go to motor carriers section (and view the Motor Carriers Database).

If you have any questions regarding licensing, published tariffs, or complaints, you may call:

Kansas Corporation Commission
Kansas Trucking Connection (Motor Carriers)
1500 SW Arrowhead Road
Topeka, KS 66604-4027
785-271-3145, option 3
fax: 785-271-3124
Better Business Bureau
http://search.bbb.org/search.html (Mover Reliability)
BBB of Greater Kansas City
8080 Ward Parkway, Suite 401
Kansas City, MO 64114
Phone 816-421-7800
Fax 816-472-5442


For any questions on interstate moves, and finding a licensed mover, you may contact the:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590

Protect Your Move (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)

US Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590

American Moving & Storage Association
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314

The following is a list of related moving contacts:

Kansas City Attorney General

Kansas Attorney General Steve Six
Memorial Hall, 2nd Floor
120 SW 10th Street
Topeka, KS 66612
(785) 296-2215
(785) 296-6296 fax

Kansas City Chamber of Commerce

Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
2600 Commerce Tower
911 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
(816) 221-2424

County Offices
Consumer Protection Division
Douglas County District Attorney’s Office

111 E. 11th Street
Lawrence , KS 66044
785-330-2849 (Consumer Hotline)
785-841-0211 (Main)

Johnson County District Attorney’s Office
Consumer Protection Division
100 North Kansas Ave.
Olathe, KS 66061

Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office
Office of the District Attorney
Consumer Fraud & Economic Crime Division

535 North Main St.
Wichita, KS 67203-3747
Toll free: 1-800-432-6878 (KS)

Banking Authorities
Office of the State Bank Commissioner
700 SW Jackson St., Suite 300
Topeka, KS 66603-3714
Toll free: 1-877-387-8523 (Consumer Helpline)

Insurance Regulators
Kansas Insurance Department
Consumer Assistance Division

420 SW 9th Street
Topeka, KS 66612
Toll free: 1-800-432-2484 (Kansas Only)

Securities Administrators
Office of the Securities Commissioner
618 South Kansas Ave.
2nd Floor
Topeka, KS 66603-3804
Toll free: 1-800-232-9580 (KS):

Utility Commissions
Corporation Commission
1500 SW Arrowhead Rd.
Topeka, KS 66604-4027
Toll free: 1-800-662-0027 (KS)