Idaho Moving Regulations

Idaho Rules and Regulations

Local movers and intrastate moves are not regulated in the state of Idaho; generally movers just need to have a business license.

If the move is over 26,100lbs it is regulated on a federal level.

Most local movers in the state of Idaho, if the move is under 2-3 hours away from each other, the mover will generally charge on an hourly basis and if the move is over 30-50 miles it usually will kick over to weight and distance, depending on the mover.

One important thing to remember is to make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.


For any questions on interstate movers, and finding a licensed mover, you may contact the:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590

Protect Your Move (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)

US Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590

American Moving & Storage Association
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314

The following is a list of related moving contacts:

Better Business Bureau of Idaho
4355 Emerald, Suite 290
Boise, Idaho  83706
Telephone: 208-342-4649 (24 Hours)
Fax: 208-342-5116

Idaho Attorney General

State of Idaho
Office of Attorney General

700 W. State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0010

Banking Authorities
Department of Finance
Financial Institutions Bureau

PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0031
Toll free: 1-888-346-3378 (ID)

Insurance Regulators
Department of Insurance
Consumer Affairs Bureau

700 W. State St.
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0043

Securities Administrators
Department of Finance
Securities Bureau
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0031

Utility Commissions
Public Utilities Commission
472 W. Washington (Zip: 83702-5918)
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0074
Toll free: 1-800-432-0369 (ID) (Complaint Line)