Florida Moving Regulations

Florida Department of Agriculture (Division of Consumer Affairs)regulates Florida’s IntraState household goods moving.

Florida Rules and Regulations

Florida’s Dept of Agriculture (Division of Consumer Services) is responsible for regulating household goods movers in the state of Florida. All moving companies are required to be licensed, and insured.

Local movers in Florida are required to have an IM #.  A contract needs to be signed by the company and the customer before the services are done. It is up to the company on whether the move is done hourly or flat rate, as long as it follows what is in their contract. The industry standard for a local moving company in Florida is to either charge by the hour or by the fixed-price method.

One important thing to remember is that you make sure your local mover carries workers compensation insurance and the proper licensing on equipment and vehicles.

Any questions on licensing or tariffs can be directed to:

Department of Agriculture
Terry Rhodes Building
2005 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32399-6500
Phone: (850) 488-2221

Florida Movers and Warehousemen’s Association
PO Box 14629
Tallahassee, FL 32317
Phone: 850-222-6000 Fax: 850-222-6002


For any questions on interstate moves, and finding a licensed mover, you may contact the:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590

Protect Your Move (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)

US Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20590

American Moving & Storage Association
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA  22314